If you really want to learn, you need to invest a lot of time. Malcolm Gladwell claims in his book Outliers that the key to success in any field is practising 10,000 hours. I believe in continuous learning and I put that into practice. We learn by making mistakes. Preferably in a safe environment. We learn from feedback and evaluations. Coaching can boost your learning. Not only for newcomers, for anyone who wants to learn, who wants to develop, a coach has added value. Antony Marcano wrote a nice article in which he says: “One thing that I notice is that while the teams are being coached, they do amazing things. They are more happy, more productive, fast to improve as if there are no limits to what they can achieve”.
I had Skype coaching sessions with James Bach and Ilari Aegerter. Here I saw how skype coaching works and I gained a bit of experience in coaching testers. Now I would like to learn this myself and that is why I offer skype coaching for free!
What is skype coaching?
A skype coaching session is a one-on-one interaction via the text message system of Skype. A coaching session is aimed at improving skills and learning. It is the tester that comes up with the solution. I try to help the “student” with the Socratic method. Often the tester gets a task or exercise during the session. After the exercise there is plenty of time to debrief.
It’s different than solving problems which I call mentoring/consulting: a mentor helps to solve a problem or an issue in daily work. This can include personal things like: how do I deal with my test manager or I would like to become test coordinator, what should I do?
How does it work?
- You contact me and we try to find a date and time (my Skype-ID: huibschoots)
- We use the text messaging system of Skype
- We’ll work on what you are interested in. If there is nothing specific I will come up with something on my own
- I will do this by the use of the socratic method. That means I will try to keep your brain busy by asking demanding questions
- This offer is without obligation for neither part
- As already mentioned: it only costs your time; not your money
- You allow me to use the coaching transcript for my purposes