Storytelling is a hot topic, and using storytelling in business settings is becoming more common. Two reasons for this are that we all love stories, and that stories are centuries old way of communicating. The ancient art of storytelling is a great tool to make our work easier and more fun! We are not always aware of it, but we are constantly telling each other stories. Stories are powerful and effective to transfer your vision, strategy or approach. We can benefit from it in our work.
Good stories surprise us. They have compelling characters. They make us think, make us feel. They stick in our minds and help us remember ideas and concepts in a way that numbers and text on a slide with a bar graph don’t.
Storytelling will increase your impact on the organisation. Stories make presentations better. Stories make ideas stick. Stories help us persuade.
Resources I recommend:
- The Future of Storytelling (Online course)
- Why Stories Matter
- The science behind storytelling
- Why Your Brain Loves Good Storytelling
- Using Storytelling in Change Management
- What Are The Clues To A Good Story?
- Why Storytelling Will Be the Biggest Business Skill of the Next 5 Years
- What makes a hero?
- The Storyteller’s Secret by Carmine Gallo
- Storytelling Animal by Jonathan Gottschall (look at his TEDx talk too)
- Made to Stick by Chip Heath and Dan Heath
- Whoever tells the best story wins by Annette Simmons
- Resonate by Nancy Duarte
… more to come!